On 04/29/11 22:33, Martin Owens wrote:
On Fri, 2011-04-29 at 21:11 -0400, John Moser wrote:
The Gnome developers are also upset at Canonical.  No idea why.
It's because Canonical only ate their ice cream cone and wouldn't eat
their ice cream. I remember when Gnome developers* built a rocket and
visited the moon, brought back a whole ton of cheese.

I tell you one thing that'll stop people using Unity... if it doesn't
actually work. Hardware issues are a lot more pressing that design
issues, especially now that the design is much more demanding on the
hardware.

Maybe, although there's a lot of press going on about this. People have been critical about Ubuntu doing things they didn't like before, though, and eventually they just eat it.

Significantly this time, I've found several issues that make me worry that Ubuntu might get away with squashing Gnome-shell:

- I've played with both back and forth now for a while, and Gnome-Shell is clearly better; people on-line are telling me the same thing. Still, both are leaving me confused as to where a lot of settings went (mostly, the appearance-related theming stuff; is everything now going to be dark colors and blues like some cheap sci-fi flick?), and both have a learning curve. Unity seems to have no distinction between running applications and applications you can run, which ... honestly just makes me want to find the smart phone company that the Ubuntu Developers are working for now and burn it down with them in it. Abstracting away the concept of whether an application is already running or not is horrible.

- Installing Gnome3 from the PPA really does completely hose the system; after that, Unity and Gnome-classic break, only Gnome-shell works, and Gnome-shell doesn't work with my ATi card (it skews the contents of windows diagonally, ad uselessness). Imagine that, I ignored the warnings and something bad happened.

Like I said, Ubuntu is Microsofting gnome-shell. They're using their market clout to squash a product that's better than theirs. I'm waiting to see Canonical try to absorb the GNOME team.

Also I don't like that I can't write anything in python that looks like
Unity, I have to write it all in C and talk directly to OpenGL, which is
messy. If I tried to use Gnome3 then I'd end up having to write in
javascript, which I hate for no apparent reason.

Oh woe! Won't someone let me write cool stuff in python?

Yours with hugs and kisses, Martin Owens

* That ever fictitious collective aggregate.