On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 9:12 PM, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <ubu...@gunnar.cc> wrote:
> On 2011-06-03 15:50, Vernon Cole wrote:
>> ... the thing I miss the most are my panel applets, one for fun,
>> three to monitor my computer.
>> Screenshot.png
>> (screen shot of "eyes" and "system monitor" applets)
>>
>> How can I get equivalent functionality back?
>
> Somebody suggested me to execute this command:
>
> gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist "['all']"
>
> It has proved to work fine so far.

Hi,

good to know that we can change this whitelist easily, but it is only
for "notification area" programs. As far as I know, the unity panel
does not support gnome panel applets at all (just like the new panel
in gnome-shell).

What bothers me the most is that "indicators" supported by the unity
panel are not supported by the gnome-shell. On the up-side, at least
indicators force to separate UI from the backend, which should make it
feasible to adapt them. In this respect it is a much better solution
than the old panel applets (but less flexible).

Regards.

--
Aurélien Naldi