Philip, thanks for your reply. I greatly appreciate it. You said,

>>>If you don't like the connections a program makes, then configure it not
 to do so.  If you can't do that, then don't run such a bad program.>>>

This is what I'm trying to do on Ubuntu! :)   if I can't log the process name,
How do I learn what connections a program is making so that I can configure
that program to not make those connections? You see the problem?

For over a year I have been struggling (on Ubuntu) with a way to identify the
connections programs are making so that I can do what you say: configure it not
to make those connections or to uninstall the program if I deem it a "bad
program." This is a non-issue on Microsoft Windows because I can easily
identify connections programs are making and I can KNOW the comings and goings
on my computer as it is all logged with Application Name in the firewall log.
One of the criteria I use to select which applications I install and run is
"internet connection behavior." It has been very difficult selecting
applications I prefer in Ubuntu because I am forced to sit and watch netstat
while trying to accomplish things. What I have ended up doing is (when
available) installing the same program on Windows, study the firewall log in
Windows and then deeming it a "good" or "bad" program for use in Ubuntu. So I
am still seeking a solution on Ubuntu. If there's some other way to accomplish
what I'm after (than using a Firewall Log), I will use it. But I have yet to
find as reasonable a solution on Ubuntu. As others have remarked in forums etc,
this is becoming an increasing priority in order to manage Mobile Broadband
internet connection usage as the accounts come with bandwidth caps where users
are charged a lot of extra money if they exceeds the caps.

I will investigate using acct package, is this the name ("acct" or "acct
package") I should search for in Synaptic? I have not tried this as a solution
and really appreciate your suggestion.