Both MAC and Windows have applications for protecting users privacy regarding
outgoing internet connections. Control over outgoing internet connections is a
huge privacy area that is non-existent in ubuntu. Here's a great little program
for Apple MACs: http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html

IMHO the lack of any sort of privacy protection for Ubuntu's outgoing internet
connections is a huge problem. Many users will not use Ubuntu because they
can't control their outgoing connections. I can understand linux's lack of
support considering it has traditionally been Server Oriented. But if Ubuntu
wants to succeed on the Desktop, it needs to address this issue.

I am really hoping you great developers can do something about this over the
next couple years so that by 14.04 users will be able to control (and have
knowledge of) outgoing internet connections on Ubuntu. Maybe Canonical can
create an application that will provide these functions? I think for Ubuntu to
succeed, Canonical needs to start devoting some resources to creating a
high-quality application/program like this one. Being able to control and have
knowledge of the Operating System and installed-Programs' internet connection
behavior is an important privacy feature.