On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 08:36:11AM -0400, Evan Huus wrote:
> P.S. For better or for worse, Unity is the future of Ubuntu (for better,
> IMHO). If you're not willing to spend the time to adjust your workflow to
> it, switch to another desktop. I hear Cinnamon aims to be comparable to the
> old Gnome-2.

The top of my Requirements document on this would be:

        * Inclusion of large numbers of launchers of
          xterms on the desktop where I can set up
          commands like: xterm -e ssh amon@<some ip address>
          which because of the crypto logins allows me
          a single double-click access to any of about
          30 machines.

        * Ability to set file browser to default to xemacs
          for text files.

        * Single or double click access to xterm, xemacs,
          and a number of other important apps on my desktop.

        * Key folders and apps on the desk top, also available
          instantly.

        * Multiple timezone widget on top tool bar or
          elsewhere that is continuously available and to
          which I can with a single click check the time
          in NY,Chicago,Denver and LA where my customers
          are.

        * At least 4 desktops, reachable by single click.

These are go/no go requirements, in priority order. Lack of
the top one is an instant down select.

Why not just have a menu entry like X windows has always
had, let the user click on it and change their window
manager at will? Put the customer in the drivers seat.