On 5 November 2012 15:08, Jordon Bedwell <jor...@envygeeks.com> wrote:
-- snip --

> I think what Canonical and Ubuntu are doing is alienating old Linux
> users who are used to telling their computers what to do, not having
> their computer tell them what they are going to do and then them
> having to step up and almost be like "no, fu** that noise, you will do
> what I want, not what you want." (and again, this is from my
> perspective, do feel free to correct me with pure fact if this is not
> the case)
>

>From those conversations I've had on IRC and G+ it appears that
criticism isn't welcome within Canonical. The viewpoint is that any
change they make (minor or major, window button location or built-in
affiliate advertising)  is greeted with an "outcry" from the outside.
While this means that the signal:noise ratio is very low there are
valid issues being ignored precisely because people try to point them
out. In one instance I was told that my concerns weren't being
ignored, "it's just that we've heard it so many times already".

I'm currently looking into how Ubuntu meets the provisions of the Data
Protection Act 1998, and more crucially what would need to be done to
meet the requirements, so that I have some base of evidence and legal
reasoning to put forward (for example, at no point in the download or
installation process is it identified which information is being
gathered, how it will be stored, by whom, how it will be used, or who
to contact). While trying to act as a "critical friend" works in other
areas I've had little success swaying opinion within Canonical-paid
Ubuntu circles. (As an aside, it appears that being only enthusiastic
about Ubuntu and all decisions, or at least getting in line, is a
requisite for employment there.)