On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 7:17 AM, Kieran Grant
<kieran.thehacker.gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Based on the problems that Saqlain had
> (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2012-December/014092.html)
> and I initially had with Ubuntu core and using apt-get, I am wondering
> if Ubuntu Core should include 'net-tools' (or a minimalist version) to
> allow Ubuntu Core to be booted on a device and to actually be able to
> setup, and connect to an Ubuntu archive server to pull from?
>
> Or, would it be better for this to be mentioned in the Ubuntu Core Wiki
> page.
>
> Because, by the example's given, one would expect that apt-get would
> work in a newly set-up Ubuntu Core environment, but without the ability
> to set up a network (or to resolve an ip address to verify), this can
> sometimes cause connection failures (I had success on one system's
> chroot, on another failure).
>
> New users to Ubuntu Core can sometime come to think something is broken
> in Ubuntu Core, when in fact it is simply their chroot or virtual system
> not set up to connect to the network.
>
> (I don't think you need dnsutils though to resolve an IP address, that's
> part of the Standard C Library, or the C Library, which ever term
> applies to the actual libc.so.6)

I've never used Ubuntu Core but I just took a look at the 12.04
tar.gz. It has both iproute and ifupdown installed so it doesn't need
net-tools for setting up the network. dnsutils isn't needed for
network setup/access either.

Sudo isn't installed though, so it has to be installed in a chroot.