hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 05.12.2012, 22:17 +1000 schrieb Kieran Grant:
> Based on the problems that Saqlain had
> (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2012-December/014092.html)
> and I initially had with Ubuntu core and using apt-get, I am wondering
> if Ubuntu Core should include 'net-tools' (or a minimalist version) to
> allow Ubuntu Core to be booted on a device and to actually be able to
> setup, and connect to an Ubuntu archive server to pull from?
>
> Or, would it be better for this to be mentioned in the Ubuntu Core Wiki
> page.
the purpose of ubuntu-core is industrial use, use in IVI environments,
service as a base for an image build or as a cheap chroot for devlopers
that are to lazy to just use debootstrap.

ubuntu-core is *not* an image and *not* supposed to be used as a rootfs
without modification

some of its dedicated use cases can be non networked or user-less
systems, adding net-tools would break exactly that ...

if you want a minimal system, take the mini iso and run an install, use
debootstrap to roll a chroot, use live-build to roll a rootfs tarball,
there are plenty of options to get to a usable rootfs.

the purpose of ubuntu-core is simply different from what you are trying
to use it for (provide the most minimal booatable system that can still
run apt-get, this doesnt include users, sudo or networking at all)

ciao
        oli