I'm talking in the context of the average user, so releases. Fine for
pre-release.

Updating 12.04, the universe sources are an extra 4MB (almost 25%
extra) downloaded whenever a package is changed. Does it really make
sense when 0.1% of people actually need this?

Us developers probably care the least since we're using the latest
releases and have large quota/bandwidth hard and mobile lines; general
users don't know about package sources to give the feedback, so I
think this is a justifiable case...

On 20 May 2013 23:21, J Fernyhough <j.fernyho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 May 2013 16:09, Daniel J Blueman <dan...@quora.org> wrote:
>> When installing Ubuntu, I always see the source packages enabled by default.
>>
>> For all the general users I install Ubuntu for (including servers),
>> it's an utter waste of bandwidth for everyone, particularly when
>> automatically checking once a day. This is amplified eg in schools
>> without transparent webcaches etc.
>>
>> Anyone get the same feeling that we should have source packages an opt-in?
>>
>> Daniel
>> --
>> Daniel J Blueman
>>

> In theory, the only time a large download is made for a full release
> is the initial repo source update. From then on, only the -updates and
> -security package lists should be changing with any frequency, and
> their sizes will be much smaller.
>
> With the development release (U+1) having source repos enabled is
> perfectly reasonable. People running this are either developers or
> have enough understanding to disable their deb-src.
>
> If you are installing Ubuntu and finding this a frustration across
> several installations then editing the sources.list after installation
> (before the first sources update) might work well. You could even host
> a prepared version ready to wget straight to the new system.

> --

Daniel J Blueman