(with my personal hat on)

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 01:48:47PM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> I think that's legally sufficient, but not in the spirit of free software.

I agree that it's legally sufficient.

I also agree that making the sources easily available for download is
part of the essential spirit of free software.

But I think that the minutiae of the exact mechanism used is not part
of this spirit. There is an important distinction between policy and
mechanism here. The spirit of free software clearly does not include
mechanism.

*Provided that it continues to be just as easy*, I don't
think that making a change to this area breaks the spirit of free
software.

Why don't we talk about ways to make it just as easy, but without the
requirement that indexes are downloaded locally even when they are not
being used?

What if we provided a reasonable message if no deb-src lines are
defined, with a single simple command to add them and run "apt-get
update" for you?

>From a technical point of view, does mirroring the deb lines into
deb-src lines work in all cases? Would doing so break anything?