Hi,
 I'm kind of late to this thread, but I'd like to add my opinion.
 Personally, I think we have to many entries in sources.list.
 Anyone suggesting that there is little cost to entries simply hasn't
tested things.  There is a very real cost to having unused entries,
in bandwidth, load on a proxy/mirror and local cpu time.

 Thanks to 'chdist', you can quite easily test this, and in my research
for LP: #1177432 (cloud-images do not have backports), I've written a
simple helper for that at https://gist.github.com/smoser/5586288 .

 I don't want to start a flame war over what exactly should be in and what
should not.  What I want to suggest is that we have tools to easily let
the user specify things.
 'apt-add-repository' has been ubiquitous and is insanely useful.

 I just now noticed that bug 997371 (Create command to add "multiverse"
and "-backports" to apt sources) is now marked Fix-Released, and was in
quantal.

 I think we should continue on this trend and improve it so that
apt-sources management is very easy.  Then, we can turn this thread into:
  Subject: document apt-add-repository "sources"

Scott