On Wed, 22 May 2013, Dale Amon wrote:
> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 02:20:51AM +0200, Florian Diesch wrote:
> > Am Mon, 20 May 2013 10:02:41 -0700
> > 4MB every few days could quite hurt you with that.
> My flat outside Belfast has 20 meg of bandwidth.

It is good that a decade[1] of broadband investment[2] has enabled
good speeds, at least around Belfast.  Access to decent speeds should
enable opportunities that would not have been there before.

Not all corners of the globe have received such levels of external
investment... my boat uses a SIM card as primary downlink.  At 03:00
in the morning I can usually get 8Mb/s, at the driving peaks of 08:00
and 18:00 I often get under 1Kb/s, with excruciating package loss, and
multi-second latency.

Unsurprisingly, I generally want to ignore the offers to update when I
need to prioritise that little bandwidth for typing and IRC
communication.  I certainly don't want source code coming down.  When
I do need it, I normally need revision control data too, not just a
tarball.  In these circumstances, a git clone/bzr branch is a more
efficient way to get that.

        -Paul

[1] http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/07/23/northern_ireland_aims_for_100pc/
[2]