On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 11:39:26AM -0700, I.E.G. wrote:
> I don't often respond .

Personally I ignore the entire GUI update package. I use
dselect or apt-get at command line, and if issues arrive
I use dpkg --force-whatever's to fix them.

The command line is far faster and more powerful for many
tasks. The only time GUI works well is if the task is
unvarying and just a matter of selecting options.

For example, if you need to move a few files around,
drag and drop are fine; but if you have to move hundreds
or thousands and they are not just a simple selectable
block, then you are far better off processing them with
RE's and a command line while loop than spending hours
doing click, drag, drop, click, drag, drop.... clickn, dragn,
dropn...

Perhaps granny can't do that. But then she probably doesn't
even know what files are. She needs a different interface than
I do, and that is the facts of life. Her interface is going to
be useless to me. So if Unity is for Granny, then set up a
Granny option for the download and install, and set up a
UnixUser option for people who actually use computers.

I have had little trouble reconfiguring things to my wishes
except at dist update boundaries... the updates tend to be an
awesomely awful experiences that do so much damage that it
is sometimes weeks if not months before everything is back to
the way I need for my day to day work.

So long as configuration files are ASCII and in /etc; so
long as vt0 - vtn are a Ctl-Alt-Fn keystroke away; so long
as I can switch to the Mint Gnome Fork GUI; so long as I
can fill my desk top with launchers to automatically connect
me to a shell on one of many remote machines, I am relatively
at peace.

Granny and Computer Professionals are different beasts and
ne'r the twain shall meet.