On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 4:11 AM, David Raphaël <raphael.da...@epfl.ch> wrote:
> However, I am a bit concerned about package management and I think that
> Ubuntu should develop (or improve) its own package management system in
> order for the distribution to be more administrators friendly.

I'm sorry, but you can't cite an improvement in the GUI as being more
administrator friendly. As an administrator of a sizeable Ubuntu
fleet, dpkg/apt does everything I need it to. It's quick, it's
reliable, and I've never had it break my system unless I had already
done something stupid... Tried and tested with minimal magic. There
are plenty of people I know who administer Ubuntu systems are actually
turned-off by the desktop-centric vision. So be careful.

I'm basing my assertion that Ubuntu is desktop-centric based on
previous decisions that shipped.

With that said, please for the love of everything if this happens make
sure it's backed by dpkg/apt. While I appreciate your feedback, I've
some concerns about fragmentation if Ubuntu goes its own route with a
package manager even if it is 'compatible' with .deb packages.

> What do you think?

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

I think they are more than welcome to add a UI around either dpkg/apt,
but they should not develop their own package management system. To
put it bluntly, it would be a stupid decision.

> Cheers,
> Raphaël

This is a good discussion to have. :)

Cheers!