I really did not intend my suggestion to be a thermonuclear device.
I take yr comments seriously though; you have a point. That said, the
(perhaps weak) rationale behind introducing "group negation" in the `pam_limits` syntax is certainly not muddying waters, but rather change default values for all
groups but the "negated" one. The same applies to users.
(I noticed yr comments only focused on groups. Does it mean you would second
the feature request for syntax applying to users ?)

Perhaps that makes no sense to some/most/you, but I would consider it handy
and an alternative to group range limit specification, around a specific group, whose
limit(s) you don't want to change.

As it stands, the existing pam_limits syntax allows us to express everything.
I suggest an alternate way of expressing things in certain cases where
blanket rules introduces concision. It may not conform to the spirit or the habits
of devs, perhaps breaking a rule unknown to me, along the lines of:
"You shan't provide alternative syntax to something that has one and ain't broken."
But that I don't know. I am just a user, not a dev.

If this was not already a burial, then the community will decide. Tis all. Cheers.
-ced