On 6 April 2016 at 22:25, Xen <l...@xenhideout.nl> wrote:
> [...]
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The naming scheme of just  "Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS" is no longer
>> meaningful when it comes to determining what kernel/mesa/xorg you are
>> on.   It's also confusing to many users what 14.04.4 actually means
>> and it makes determining if you are supported more difficult [1].
>>
>> I propose for 16.04 we change it so that the HWE# is included in the
>> version, so it's trivial to determine the support level.
>>
>> So for example, if we had done this for 14.04 we would have releases like:
>> Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS - Everyone up-to-date with stock kernel
>> Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS HWE15.04 - Out of date with vivid kernel
>> Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS HWE15.04 - Up-to-date with vivid kernel
>
> Personally I feel that naming scheme is hideous and will confuse even
> more people.
>
> What does HWE even mean? I can look it up, but it is not like it is some
> kind of well known acronym or abbreviation.
>
> (The way I understood it these point releases indeed brought new kernels
> in addition to something else. The confusion that I experienced was more
> the weird focus on end-of-support dates that was different for every
> point release, creating tiers of support that utterly confused me,
> particularly because the context with other (newer) versions of the
> distribution was not clear. The idea of point releases bringing new
> kernels and that "HWE" is not confusing at all. However, if this
> dramatically is going to change "end of support" dates, then suddenly it
> is not comprehensible anymore --- did it mean that a getting point
> release meant less support?
>
> What I remember is that the point releases had less support, which is
> not understandable because they are newer systems.
>
> Also if a point release actually means newer versions of all software
> this is confusing by itself. Creating the ability for new hardware is
> easy to understand. But if repos for .3 and .4 are going to be entirely
> different, and now you are going to create 2 dimensions: currency of
> software, and currency of kernel/HWE and you can mix them at will: that
> is not helpful.
>
> So I would suggest the confusion did not come from the naming scheme.
> The confusion came from the fact that these varying levels of support
> were incomprehensible. If anything upgrading to a newer kernel should be
> recommended and encouraged for the largest part and if anything that
> should give the benefit of longer support -- since you are up to date
> now, right?
>
> The fact that 14.04.1 is listed at end of life april 2019 and 14.04.2 is
> listed at august 2016 is just utterly confusing. Changing the naming is
> not going to help that.
>
> If these two components have different EOL you can just say so, I'm not
> sure if that is the case.
>
> So if you wanted some thoughts, my thought is that your proposal here
> would increase the confusion while not tackling the real issue.

LTS has 5 years of support.

There are multiple kernels available with full 5 year support:
- original (from .0 original release & .1 release)
- next-lts (from a .5 point release)

Intermediate releases backports:
- Available in .2; .3; .4
- Supported until .5 release which comes with next-LTS kernel
- Upgrade path is to the next LTS release, or to the .5 HWE stack

We do send EOL announcements for the HWE kernels. I do not believe we
automatically upgrade people from them to the .5 / next-LTS kernel,
maybe we should. (or i am wrong, and we totally do it).
However in practice, people who use/care about HWE kernels upgrade to
the next HWE stack and/or next LTS release quite rapidly.

Regards,

Dimitri.

>> etc
>>
>> This does mean we could decide to provide downloads for both (we do
>> have some demand for this):
>> Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS (Stock kernel)
>> Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS HWE1510 (Wily HWE)
>>
>> And now we can differentiate between them in the same way on the
>> download site as in an installed system.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>> Bryan
>>
>> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/1204_HWE_EOL
>> [2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases