Colin Law schreef op 08-10-2016 18:29:
On 8 October 2016 at 17:21, Xen <l...@xenhideout.nl> wrote:
Ralf Mardorf schreef op 06-10-2016 12:42:

Just a very laste note.

On Wed, 2016-10-05 at 22:29 +0200, Xen wrote:

>> In Windows

Yes you conveniently break off my statement but (I had to look for it)
it was about something that has *nothing* to do with security as it
dealth with network shares.

Yes, you mentioned Windows allows to do this and that, but Linux
doesn't, so I pointed out, that Windows is insecure and Linux isn't. I
assume causality. There are reasons that Linux does work different to
Windows.

And so whenever Linux can't do something, it is for security? Don't make me
laugh.

I think there is a difference between *can't* meaning is not able to
and *won't allow* meaning there is something specifically stopping
that from happening.  The *won't allow* features are generally for
security reasons.

A root user also cannot do the things just mentioned.

The required software does not exist, for the most part.

There are also no security considerations whatsoever pertaining to the local system regarding the mounting of remote network shares on a user supplied home directory or equivalent. It is utter bull. You can make such generalized statements all you want but I hear nothing that actually addresses the topic. The infrastructure to do these things easily does not exist, not even if you supply a root or sudo password. That is simple fact. There are many things you can do after supplying a root or sudo password, including wiping the filesystem clean, and these are also not prevented for 'security reasons'.

We are 2016 and we still cannot mount samba shares easily. And when you mention this everyone that doesn't matter tries to wiggle out from under your gaze and pretends there are very good reasons why this is so.

I wish people would just stop lying about Linux so some actual work could actually be done. Every problem that is not acknowledged is also not solved. And what do we solve instead? Non-problems for the most part.

Because non-problems won't offend anyone if they are being addressed. No one's ego is harmed when you don't say something is wrong. Or not wrong, whatever you want. You will find "improvements" left and right that are actually detrimental and nothing much is advancing. The services we have today cannot really do more than those of the past. SystemD makes stuff easier but previously this functionality did also exist. Hacking around Linux was a lot easier in the past, I believe. Don't count my word for everthing but complexity has gone up, not down. Unity is not really a great success from my point of view and it is worse than Cinnamon that has much less resources to go at it. Cinnamon in the meantime also makes improvements that are detriments, such as reversing all "yes/no" buttons and "okay/cancel" buttons in their order, which just messes up your mind completely.

KDE does everything but the right thing and of all the window-switchers none suffices. Until you edit the "large icons" theme so it becomes the "medium icons" theme and suddenly you have something that is actually pleasing to use. Why they supply big icons (that are too large) and small icons (that are too small) but no medium icons in between (that would actually work) is beyond me.

Constantly trying to invent new stuff when it is not necessary. Constantly trying to be "different" from the main protagonists but there is no reason to. Cinnamon does so well regardless because many choices are just obvious: Cinnamon /does/ have a medium icon Window Switcher that just works.

Something that doesn't require any configuration and works out of the box in a nice style. Why people constantly try to come up with new ideas that then subsequently do not even work, is beyond me. Just in order to be different... Just so you can claim you are "not windows"? I don't know...

Windows makes it convenient, so you make it inconvenient.
Windows makes it insecure, so you make it secure.

Everything in response to something else, reactionary.

There is not actually a reason to base yourself on something else, you can take yourself as your own point of reference and only try to be better than what you were before. You can simply create what you want and do not have to look at something else to claim you don't want to be that.

I must say I applaud Ubuntu selling paid apps though and I think that is something Linux needs. And pardon this bad writing, once more.

Regards.