Thanks, guys. I was able to update-proof my launcher by putting it in
~/.local. Now we just need to idiot-proof it. We need to make this launcher
discoverable and usable by the average end-user, without editing any files.

The workaround I suggested for the individual who burdened all of us with
their personal preference by getting this launcher to not show in anyone's
Gnome is for them to put it in a folder in their applications menu, so they
do not see it.