On 10/06/2010 11:31 AM, Jorge O. Castro wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Now that I've gone and renamed a ton of blueprints and spammed you all
> let me explain the naming convention for blueprints, since the prior
> system both confused the scheduler AND people. The list of TRACKs are
> here: http://summit.ubuntu.com/uds-n/
>
> You will note that Application Developers, Application Selection and
> Defaults, Cloud, Development Process, Hardware Compatibility, Other,
> Ubuntu the Project are the tracks.

Let me break that down for easy viewing:
 * Application Developers
 * Application Selection and Defaults
 * Cloud
 * Development Process
 * Hardware Compatibility
 * Other
 * Ubuntu the Project

We had 9 tracks last year and filled them pretty well. We're looking at
at 2 less this year (as defined above) and probably even more sessions
than last time (every year our material has grown). Unless we're cutting
out slots and pushing outlying session topics into the community for
discussions instead of proper UDS sessions...

To dive into some concrete examples: I'm having a bit of a problem while
classifying various multi-touch, DX, and design sessions; the number of
sessions in "other" far outweighs all my other sessions combined. I have
several sessions that could be placed into a "Maintenance" track
(tracking work with upstreams, improving existing applications, QA,
etc.), into a "New Features" track, and an "Upstreams" track.

For example, there are some sessions I have where we need to define our
work with X.org. Others: we need to determine infrastructure for testing
(tools, frameworks, etc.), and we need to define APIs for use by toolkit
builders (i.e., not application developers). All of these are going into
"other" which, as a result, seems to be getting pretty overloaded.

Is anyone else having this problem as well? Marjo, where are your
sessions that target QA efforts for Natty going? Robbie and Colin, what
about maintenance tasks on Ubuntu software, stuff that isn't
specifically app selection/defaults? Rick and Desktop, what about all
the work that has to be done *on* applications in Natty, not just for
the *developers* of applications?

In other words, there seems to be a lot of great focus on vision for the
future and Ubuntu's initiatives, but I seem to have missed the
conversations that addressed the other important part of Ubuntu:
supporting and improving what's there (generally, I mean; there are some
tracks related to support and improvement of what's currently in Ubuntu,
but they have a narrow focus).

If those conversations did in fact take place (I'm not able to track all
the email exchanges on this list), and everyone else knows what's going
on, how about we put a summary of those findings and rationale for the
"missing" bits here?
  http://uds.ubuntu.com/tracks/

That way, everyone who wants to add a session can know definitively how
to classify it and what the likelihood of them running out of room in a
particular track will be.

Again, apologies if this has already been covered,