On 11/19/2010 02:10 AM, Alex Launi wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Dustin Kirkland <kirkl...@ubuntu.com
> <mailto:kirkl...@ubuntu.com>> wrote:
>
>     I thought a good 2D experience was also one of the key objectives?
>

> Yeah, but the good 2D experience is really just a fall back to Gnome 2.X
> panel, and the current Ubuntu desktop. It will be good to have this fall
> back well tested, but that doesn't help us test Unity.

Sorry for the tangent but I could not find more information about this
online: is the Unity UI fundamentally tied to 3D acceleration support
and compositing? IMHO if it was technically possible it would be more
uniform to have the 2D experience built on the same new UI/UX concepts
just a bit less visually intense, much like the 'desktop effects'
setting used to provide more or less the same UI with various degrees of
glitz.

thanks
Jani