On 02/17/2011 10:02 AM, Martin Pool wrote:
> I'd like to do a new feature in Launchpad to help Ubuntu, which is to
> allow packages to be built directly from source package branches.
> This would address one of the messy parts of source package branches
> at the moment, which is the need to upload the package, mark it
> uploaded, and also push the branch.  This will build on things that
> seems to be quite popular and successful with ppa building from
> recipes, and help us simplify some redundantc
>
> Most of what we need to do this already exists, so I'm hoping that
> we'll be able to get it up quite quickly.
>
> I would like to start on this soon by just offering it as an adjunct
> to regular dput uploads, for a limited set of packages. For packages
> in that set, when someone commits to the branch, a part of Soyuz will
> automatically assemble a source package and queue it for building.
> This will let people try it out while still having the option to keep
> using regular dput uploads.
>
> We have a Launchpad Enhancement Proposal (LEP) about this at
> <https://dev.launchpad.net/LEP/BuildFromBranchIntoPrimary>.  I'd
> appreciate hearing of
>
>  * any problems you can spot in this
>  * any missing constraints or likely snags we ought to consider
>  * anyone or any packages who'd like to be first to try it

Hi Martin,

Looks like a good feature. The LEP looks good. However I am concerned
about 1 thing in this workflow:

Some (only *some*) packages need extra build deps just to run bzr
builddeb -S . Since that command will be run on buildds having all
build-deps installed (please correct me if I am wrong), building and
uploading a package would eat up more resources, since the buildds would
need to be called twice: once for packaging the source from the branch
and once per arch for building it .

Not a big issue, but something that might cause build delays during mass
syncs, package rebuilds, etc.

Bilal Akhtar.

--
Bilal Akhtar - Ubuntu Developer <bilalakh...@ubuntu.com>