On Feb 17, 2011, at 06:51 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

>1. From the LEP: Disabling dput uploads is not a nice to have. It's a
>misfeature that violates (AIUI) one of the core assumptions given to Ubuntu
>developers when this project was started: That we are free to ignore it.  I
>find it very troubling that it's listed as a goal of any kind (the discussion
>about being able to enforce the use of merge proposals convinces me this is
>not accidental).

Are you saying that you want to preserve dput as an upload option forever?  Do
you see a future where dput *isn't* the interface for uploading a new package?
Let's assume that all the current blockers are fixed, e.g. source packages are
fast to download, etc.

I think at some point there should be only one way to do it.

>2. From my recollection of recent mail list discussions: I recall an issue
>where an existing branch can be made official, but the owner of the branch
>could retain access to the branch even if they didn't have upload rights for
>the package. This must be fixed before build from branch is enabled in the
>main archive.

Agreed.  I wonder how this push-to-official-branch can work with package sets,
and whether making upload-rights equivalent to push-rights helps provide a
finer grained control over who can upload what packages.

That's assuming you think better control over upload rights is a good thing.
Being in a (hopefully short-term) limbo, I do. :)

>3. From my earlier experiments with UDD: I recall issues with the md5sum of
>the generated tarball matching upstream in preference to matching
>Debian. Debian is (mostly) our immediate upstream and needs to be the
>preferred source (it may be reasonable to provide an option to pull from
>upstream in cases it's preferred).

That's for cases where Debian uses a different tarball, for example, because
upstream's has non-free elements to it.

-Barry