Hello,

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:01:10AM -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:
On Feb 21, 2011, at 11:14 AM, Steve Langasek wrote:

For that matter, if DEBCHANGE_RELEASE_HEURISTIC=changelog were the default,
there would be an explicit "mark this ready for upload" step that typically
consists of 'dch -r && debcommit -r', which creates exactly the same tag as
'bzr mark-uploaded'.

FWIW, 'dch -r && debcommit -r' is a bit of black magic that doesn't seem
well-covered in the documentation.  Or, perhaps more accurately, it wasn't
stressed enough to make it onto my radar before this thread.

Maybe it would be more discoverable as 'bzr release' instead of 'bzr
mark-upload' or 'dch -r && debcommit -r'?

Right. I think that an explicit step to ask Soyuz to build the package
is the best way to express what's wanted here. It's in the same
category as running 'dput' currently, which has been internalised and
accepted by developers thus far.

I'd be very wary of any voodoo around when a build/publication is
triggered — including trying to second-guess my intentions when
pushing changes. I suspect that any such heuristic analysis will lead
to numerous errors and unintentional uploads.

A 'mark-uploaded'-style interface would probably be at the right level
for this task, but perhaps a better name would be wise, as Barry
suggested. Personally, I often forget to run mark-uploaded because it
doesn't seem to do much other than appease the machinery. I know and
understand that it's important to tag releases, but still sometimes
don't remember to do it, and nothing bad appears to happen if I
forget.

If the interface were to actually have a tangible action (getting the
package built and out there), then people would have a much stronger
incentive to remember to do it: otherwise you don't get an archive
upload.

Cheers,
Iain