On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 04:41:33PM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Jun 06, 2011, at 03:49 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> >Right. Mostly what I need are docs that are easy enough to find the next time
> >it comes up because I'm old and forgetful.

> I agree that a cheat sheet would be a nice addition. :)

More than a nice addition, I would argue that this is the single most
important part of the documentation to get right (and that we have
collectively been failing at for some time).

I can remember several years ago that one of the great advantages of Ubuntu
over Debian for the budding developer was that Debian had the New Maintainer
Guide, and Ubuntu had nice short wiki pages that told you how to get started
and hit the ground running.  I feel like the playing field has been leveled
somewhat since then, but not in the direction I would've liked ;), because
there is a constant pressure to add more documentation.  That's not a bad
thing per se, but we need to be vigilant that we don't add this
documentation in the wrong place.  The "quick start guide" should be the
*first* place we direct new developers, with "would you like to know more?"
links available for them to drill down into; and if more documentation needs
to be added, it should be added on the individual detail pages.

I think the Ubuntu Packaging Guide represents a great opportunity for this
kind of refactoring to take place.  I don't get the impression that this has
happened yet.

slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org