On 06/20/2011 03:17 PM, Loïc Minier wrote:
         Hey there

  On armel, we currently have a versatile flavor of the linux packages
  and a versatile netboot image of debian-installer.  ARM Versatile was
  added in Debian a long time ago and then in Ubuntu because it could be
  run within QEMU.  Nowadays in oneiric we have a linaro-vexpress kernel
  flavor and a corresponding d-i netboot image which supports ARM
  Versatile Express platforms.

  I'd like to kill the old versatile stuff:
  - ARM Versatile is an obsolete hardware platform (it got superseded by
    ARM RealView and then ARM Versatile Express, and even that is getting
    old)
  - versatile boards only supports up to ARMv6 CPUs but Ubuntu's
    userspace is ARMv7+, so we currently carry a patch to user an ARMv7
    CPU in our linux versatile build, which is hackish.  Vexpress
    supports SMP with ARMv7 CPUs, but can of course still run a v5
    userspace like Debian's.  Basically, Vexpress should be technically
    superior in all respects; notably, it can emulate 1024 MiB of RAM.
  - this would cut down the build time of "linux" on armel by one flavor
    out of two; perhaps from 28 hours to 14 hours
  - however, the kernel tree is slightly different: the linaro-vexpress
    flavor is based of linux-linaro which includes the Linaro kernel bits
    while versatile is built of the linux source package, with less
    patches over mainline

  Is there any objection to the removal of the versatile bits?

  NB: I'm seeing two annoying bugs with qemu/vexpress, which I think are
  present with versatile as well: qemu stalls regularly when accessing
  the emulated SD (LP #732223) but eventually proceeds; and some network
  I/O is corrupted or interrupted (LP #799757), but retrying allows to
  proceed.  The latter prevents using things like debootstrap as it can't
  do any retries.

    Cheers,

I talked to Oliver Grawert about this. We are quite happy to drop the distro versatile flavour in favor of the Linaro packaged versatile-express kernel.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gard...@canonical.com