On 2011-07-25 22:58:10 -0400, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> On 25 July 2011 07:45, Benjamin Drung <bdr...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > I would recommend people to apply for 'Ubuntu Contributing Developer'
> > before applying for MOTU or core-dev.
>
> I disagree with your recommendation. I recently got my Ubuntu
> membership through the Regional Boards and it turns out I was a good
> candidate for the Ubuntu Contributing Developer (UCD) route which I
> had actually not heard of yet. UCD provides no extra privileges or
> status, and there's no point in anybody who is already a Ubuntu Member
> getting UCD status before applying for MOTU or core-dev.

At least in the past the DMB talked to UCD applicants who were already
Ubuntu members before a meeting as UCD wouldn't grant them anything
(except an additional badge on their LP profile) and only processed
those applications if the applicant insisted on UCD membership.

Ubuntu membership (preferrable through UCD) is a recommendation for MOTU
applicants but no requirement. And it doesn't matter if one got Ubuntu
member through UCD, forums, IRC or any other membership granting
activities.

Michael