On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 12:06:50PM -0600, Mario Limonciello wrote:
> On 02/06/2012 09:44 AM, Robbie Williamson wrote:
> >Am I wrong, or did Dell request that we enable this feature by default
> >for Dell Poweredge servers *only*, by detecting at boot...and that
> >they had done something similar with Fedora?  If we can contain this
> >change to only affecting Dell servers, then any issues it creates
> >would also only affect Dell servers...and I'd think Dell would have a
> >self-interest in helping us resolve those asap. Right?
>
> This is similar to what RHEL6 is doing.  They enable biosdevname by
> default only a limited subset of Dell machines (
> http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHEA-2011-0644.html).

It's interesting that this appears to be at variance with what Fedora is
doing.  Of course, RHEL can take advantage of the separate broad testing
work done in Fedora, and then minimise the risk for their enterprise
distribution.  We don't have that luxury in Ubuntu.

--
Colin Watson                                       [cjwat...@ubuntu.com]