On 03/14/2012 11:00 AM, Colin Watson wrote:
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 09:52:01AM -0700, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
The Ubuntu Kernel Team has been evaluating some of the current
maintenance burdens for the upcoming Precise Pangolin 12.04 LTS release.
One area which would reduce the maintenance costs would be to drop the
non-smp PowerPC kernel flavor.  There are currently three PowerPC
flavors:

Making the associated installer changes shouldn't be a big deal, but I
suggest you ask the Xubuntu and Lubuntu communities about this since a
good proportion of powerpc users are there.

  * non-smp (linux-image-powerpc)
  * smp (linux-image-powerpc-smp)
  * smp-64 (linux-image-powerpc64-smp)

It's not clear to me whether it would make more sense to drop -powerpc
or -powerpc-smp.  My memory is that -powerpc-smp was significantly less
used and would be a better candidate for removal.  Do you have notes on
which hardware is covered by -powerpc-smp that can't use -powerpc64-smp?

We consulted Jeremy Kerr about this. He says that an SMP kernel will run on all 32 bit powerpc platforms, including non-SMP. I don't recall discussing if the 64 bit SMP kernel would run on all SMP capable hardware. That combination is not possible on all x86 platforms, so I was likely biased.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gard...@canonical.com