On 03/15/2012 06:02 AM, Colin Watson wrote:
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 11:02:09AM +0800, Jeremy Kerr wrote:
Hi all,
We consulted Jeremy Kerr about this. He says that an SMP kernel will run
on all 32 bit powerpc platforms, including non-SMP.

To clarify: the hardware supported by the powerpc and powerpc-smp
flavours is almost identical. The differences probably don't matter
Ubuntu users, as it'll be obscure hardware. I've CC-ed benh in case
he wants to correct me on this one.

However, the SMP kernel supports (surprise!) bringing up>1 CPU on
machines that have>1 CPU. With a UP kernel on these machines, the
other CPUs are left doing nothing.

The main class of 32-bit SMP powerpc machines are the Apple dual-G4s.

So, since the hardware coverage is essentially the same, but we get
SMP support on SMP machines, I'd say that we would prefer the
powerpc-smp kernel over the powerpc flavour.

OK, that all makes sense, and I agree based on that.  I'd forgotten
about the dual G4 class.

I would switch the installer over to powerpc-smp today, then, except
that the kernel doesn't ship powerpc-smp udebs yet, only powerpc and
powerpc64-smp.  Can somebody fix that so that I can do this transition?

I'll take care of it. Leann plans to upload later in her day Friday, so the kernel ought to be available by Monday.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gard...@canonical.com