Hello Jonathan,

Jonathan Thomas [2012-05-29  8:24 -0400]:
> > Please note that it just provides a PackageKit API. We don't use the
> > actual PackageKit in Ubuntu as well, but the python-aptdaemon.pkcompat
> > wrapper. Kubuntu does the same.
>
> This is incorrect, Kubuntu does not use aptdaemon at all

Both aptdaemon and python-aptdaemon.pkcompat are on the Kubuntu
images.

> and doing so would bring in a considerable amount of GTK libraries

It does depend on glib and python-gi, but there's little chance of
avoiding glib in Kubuntu. I'm less sure about python-gi, though, that
might be new.

> not to mention yet another apt implementation

aptdaemon does not reimplement apt, it provides the python-apt
functionality over D-BUS (similar to PackageKit, but it's a lot faster
on Ubuntu).

> If at all I possible, I would like to write a QApt backend for
> ubuntu-drivers-common.

Sure, I don't have an opinion about whether or not this is better, as
I don't know QApt myself.

> > This provides an upstream friendly API, so that our GUIs for driver
> > detection do not have to stay distro specific for all times. However,
> > you don't have to use it, of course.
>
> Currently it's being dragged in by nvidia-common, so it's not exactly
> optional if you have an nvidia card...

nvidia-common was renamed to ubuntu-drivers-common, as it is not just
for NVidia, but also for fglrx and the pvr-omap4 driver. As it is
taking over Jockey's functionality, it is pretty much mandatory in
12.10, but in exchange we can drop Jockey.

Thanks,

Martin