Hello,

On 04.09.2012 15:28, Emmet Hikory wrote:
>     The difficulty here is that there is uncontrolled scope for future
> conflict.  While the Contents.gz file is useful (and the conflictchecker
> system more so), if both extras and backports are enabled by default, there
> is no means by which the review board can determine that a given filename
> will not be provided by a backport of a new package imported from Debian.

The fairest solution to this problem would be to turn on a
conflict-check-before-publish for all parts of the archive. This would
help us find these (and pre-existing) issues immediately and resolve
them amongst the maintainers and upstreams.

My current expectation is only a very tiny fraction of uploads would get
blocked due to this and the general amount of work to resolve them would
be small too.

The /opt requirement on the other hand unfortunately imposes a huge
amount of work on 1) app developers because our tools don't work this
way very easily and 2) Ubuntu maintainers who have to enable path
lookups in tools which don't know about /opt yet.

Have a great day,
 Daniel

--
Get involved in Ubuntu development! developer.ubuntu.com/packaging
And follow @ubuntudev on identi.ca/twitter.com/facebook.com/gplus.to