On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 12:17:02PM -0400, Andrew Starr-Bochicchio wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 8:26 AM, Chris Wilson <notg...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > On 24 October 2012 13:23, Chris Wilson <notg...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >> In order for the Hundred Paper Cuts project to stay healthy, it needs a
> >> constant flow of new bugs, several hundred each cycle, for people to work
> >> on. Making it easier to report paper cuts will help keep the reports
> >> flowing, and a desktop utility bundled with ubuntu-dev-tools could help
> >> with
> >> this.
> >>
> >> A simple graphical tool that provides an interface for reporting new paper
> >> cuts, with fields customized for paper cut bug reports. ubuntu-bug send a
> >> lot of information that is not necessary for these kinds of problems.
> >>
> >> An application picker (I think GTK3 has a pretty good one) that will list
> >> all the applications installed on the system that are covered by the paper
> >> cuts project. When the user chooses one, relevant data about the version of
> >> the app, installed plugins, etc, will be added to the report.

Presumably the user already has the application in question open, so it
would be simpler to allow them to point to an open window and have the
reporting program work out the package from that.

> > If the paper cutters were to develop such a tool, would it be considered for
> > integration into the ubuntu-dev-tools package?
>
> I'm forwarding this over to devel as you'll more likely get an
> authoritative answer there than on desktop. My initial reaction though
> is that it would be better off in its own package. I don't think we'd
> want to have GTK as a dependency of ubuntu-dev-tools as it is
> sometimes used in chroots and on servers.

In general, when an existing program isn't quite right, it's often
better to see if it can be modified to suit your needs rather than
creating a new program.  That way there's some chance that you might end
up with the best of both worlds rather than with two programs neither of
which quite does what everyone wants.

With that in mind, couldn't this be implemented as a command-line option
to ubuntu-bug to cause it to send a reduced set of information and do
the paper-cut-specific stuff, plus if necessary an additional graphical
utility to deal with application selection?  It could then live in
apport rather than needing a new package, and we won't need to dilute
the message about using ubuntu-bug to report bugs.

--
Colin Watson                                       [cjwat...@ubuntu.com]