On 25/10/12 14:00, Chris Wilson wrote:

    Presumably the user already has the application in question open,
    so it
    would be simpler to allow them to point to an open window and have the
    reporting program work out the package from that.

Now that does sound like a good idea. Do you if there's anything in GTK that can extract meta data from a window simply by clicking on it, or anything along those lines?
Have a look at the code for 'ubuntu-bug -w'

    With that in mind, couldn't this be implemented as a command-line
    option
    to ubuntu-bug to cause it to send a reduced set of information and do
    the paper-cut-specific stuff, plus if necessary an additional
    graphical
    utility to deal with application selection?  It could then live in
    apport rather than needing a new package, and we won't need to dilute
    the message about using ubuntu-bug to report bugs.

"ubuntu-bug --papercut rhythmbox" would work well for our needs. We could bundle the GUI app into another package, perhaps ubuntu-dev-tools-extra. How does that sound?

Chris