Dear Ubuntu developers,

I intend to upload libav 9 to raring rather sooner than later. I'm writing
you because:

 - the package is not in debian/unstable yet, but currently sitting in NEW,
targeted at experimental (but syncing is not possible anyway)
 - I don't think that there will be a similar fallout like the last big
libav package, but given that some more internal API got dropped and there
are a number of packages in the archive that use deprecated APIs, there
will be some problems.
 - I remember that Collin requested such big updates to be announced before
on this mailing list. I'm doing it with this email.
 - gstreamer (via gst-libav) requires this version.

All relevant SONAMEs have been bumped, so existing binaries should not be
broken by this upload. See http://libav.org/news.html#9beta1 for an
overview of the most important changes.
Preview packages are available in ppa:motumedia/libav-daily

I would suggest to upload the package now so that we have enough time to
deal with packages that require cleaning ups, in case that would happen.

--
regards,
    Reinhard