On Mon, 2013-02-25 at 11:41 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 07:13:43PM +0100, Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals
> wrote:
> > It's great to hear that voice recognition in Ubuntu is finally getting some
> > love :).
>
> > The English Voxforge models are currently packaged in julius-voxforge.
> > There I did go with the nightly builds there, since in addition to the time
> > and disk size (which IMHO is already enough of a reason), it needed HTK to
> > build, which is not redistributable. It'd also be interested in more
> > opinions though.
>
> In terms of freeness of the OS, depending on non-redistributable tools for
> building the data files is more of an issue than whether we actually process
> them at package build time.  Is this a julius-specific requirement, or does
> it also affect sphinx?

Julius uses the HTK models.  To build the Sphinx ones we need
sphinx-train (which isn't packaged yet, but we've got some test
packages) and some scripts that Pete wrote.

https://launchpad.net/voxforge-sphinx-train/

We haven't gone through a license audit on those yet, but I don't expect
any issues.

That is an interesting question though, is there a "binary blob"
argument if we built the models offline and not in the source packages?
It would seem like as long as it was documented and used free tools
there wouldn't be an issue.

Ted