On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 03:13:03 PM Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Thirdly, contributors (like myself) can be living in some places where
> > internet connectivity would be not that great to support HD video
> > streaming and can cause distortion when trying to speak.
>
> I know that Google Hangouts include various "low bandwidth" tweaks.  Do you
> happen to have any experience with these, to know how well they work / what
> the real minimum bandwidth requirements are for participating?  I suspect
> that, in practice, it's not so different from what's required in order to be
> able to participate effectively in other aspects of Ubuntu development, but
> possibly it would be worth testing this before next week.

Since Launchpad was open sourced there's been no requirement to use
proprietary web services to be involved in Ubuntu development (and the fact
that there was before that was a matter of significant controversy in the
community).  In that regard the requirement to use Google's infrastructure to
participate is a fundamental change.

Scott K