Hello Rick,

Rick Spencer [2013-02-28  7:31 -0800]:
> Therefore, I think we should keep LTS releases, but starting now, stop
> doing interim releases and start a rolling release.

FWIW, I'm all for this. The past two cycles have demonstrated a
tremendous increase in daily quality, and starting a RR now will only
motivate everyone to get even better.

I feel that the 6 months of planning ahead with the feature freeze
(which got violated countless times anyway), plus the usual
uncertainty and fuzz of work items that were thrown out "in the heat
of the moment" at an UDS discussion has shown their limits, so a
monthly cadence of "snapshots" plus a more dynamic planning sound
promising. We'll see how well it will actually work.

> More clearly, I think we should:
>  * Stop making interim releases.

This entails also dropping freezes for the non-LTS cycles, or would we
still have freeze cycles during the monthly cadence?

>  * Keep doing daily quality and keep improving our daily quality.

Big +1. I'm particularly looking forward to integrating our automatic
package tests with britney.

I also think we need to integrate our daily image smoketests better to
avoid publishing a built image on cdimage.u.c. as /current if it fails
the tests. /current should always point to the last one which is
working IMHO.

>  * Take a monthly snapshot of the development release, which we support
> only until the next snapshot

This is the main point where I have doubts and questions:

 * What does "support" mean for the monthly snapshots? Hopefully not
   security updates, SRUs, and backports? That would ruin pretty much
   all the savings that we do from dropping the interim releases.

 * What is the purpose of these snapshots, i. e. who would use them?
   If all our published daily images are good enough to install, boot,
   and get you into a desktop, and we wouldn't do significantly more
   QA on the "monthly" ones anyway, what makes these images special?

> = Why Now? =
> There are two answers for this.
>  1. Because of Convergence
>  2. Because we can

You forgot the One True Reason for "Why Now?": I'm sure that it was
never meant to be a Raring Ringtail, but always a Rolling Release! We
couldn't do it at any other point in time.

I'm looking forward to this. I'm sure there will be rough edges, but
let's try this.

Thanks!

Martin