Hi Jonathan (2013.03.01_16:48:21_+0200)
> What bothers me more than user loss is developer loss. It's a fact
> that Ubuntu as a community project is currently completely
> unsustainable.
> >If we are finding that our non-LTS releases aren't stable enough, and
> >people are using the LTSs, what makes us think we can get a significant
> >userbase onto a rolling release that's less polished than our existing
> >releases?
>
> Would it be a goal to have users use the rolling releases? I can't
> remember seeing that mentioned before in my catching up of the list.

Hrm, that is another good argument in favour of a rolling release.
Having more users on our development release will make contributing to
Ubuntu significantly easier, and take the round-trip time between
submitting a patch and seeing the benefit from 6 months to 1 month / 1
day.

When the development release isn't something that only Ubuntu developers
run, then the barrier to new contributions goes down.

> I can see a benefit in having normal users on lts releases only. It
> will make packaging of 3rd party apps that go into repositories such
> as 'extras' a lot easier and faster.

Right, agreed. As long as 2 years isn't too old for those users.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera
  http://tumbleweed.org.za/