== TL;DR ==

Apologies for the improper post, but my gmail account didn't get the
entire thread. I'm not a dev, just a long time user (since Warty
[technically, since Hoary as Warty pissed me off for some reason I can't
remember]. I've also provided support/installed Ubuntu for several
hundred lay people and counting, as part of my previous
work/volunteering/fun with Free Geek Vancouver. I would *love* to see
Ubuntu go rolling, but carefully, and learning from distros like Arch
Linux - doing the best we can to avoid common pitfalls.

== -vv --VeryVerbose ==

I personally can work around any problems with rolling releases and
that's why I love love love Arch Linux, but that's not for Reg Ular User
who wants things to *just work.* Reg wants to do her/his thing and the
O/S should stay out of the way. IMHO, these two aspects piss off Reg
(into a rage):

1. Older libs need to be supported
2. Reg Dolt User decides to wait 3.5 months between updates; Reg
shouldn't have the system break [or we need to find a way to avoid
this].

1. Some programs won't be supported when new libraries come out and the
distro updates. Say a dev writes a cool game in SFML 1.6 and Ubuntu
rolling decides to use 2.0 - uh oh, we have some sad users and a dev
that now has to port. It would be *very* cool if older libraries could
somehow be supported so this situation doesn't happen (even as just as
an optional install with a flag such as
--ipromisetocleanuponceitisnotneeded) - but hey, that's what a small
secondary partition with the LTS is for, though that's not
user-friendly ;)

2. I can see monthly releases being of value to Reg Dolt User who hates
doing updates all the time. They just do an apt-get dist-upgrade once a
month. Or better yet it a confirmation dialogue with a warning not to
turn the machine off for the next few hours [the only options being
accept or ignore]. It also nags them once a day to this until they do
so, with no option to turn off the nag screen.

We should try to discourage people waiting 3.5 months between updates as
breakage is going to take lots of work to prevent.  Arch Linux has
*never* broken on me through it's own fault, though it has when I've
fucked up. Now if you're being a moron and decide to update only once
every 3.5 months on Arch, you will probably get some trouble (I
admittedly did this, unintentionally, on a box that gets used
infrequently). This is not an acceptable situation for the Ubuntu user
base, IMHO. I'm thinking here of a slightly passionate user who
considers them-self a 'power user' :p They will just get frustrated and
die.

~Zeroedout