On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 01:31:37AM -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> David Henningsson <david.hennings...@canonical.com> wrote:

> >could

> >> For people or teams that are largely or entirely !canonical, this only
> >> works if all you care about is x86 (i386/amd64).  Anything for armhf
> >> (or powerpc) would have to land untested since the PPAs that are
> >> available for !canonical don't build these architectures.

> >From what I've heard, that is already fixed, at least for armhf - see
> >http://dev.launchpad.net/CommunityARMBuilds

> Not really.   Look at the limits associated with that.  It's a miminally
> useful small scale capability.

> Also, since it's (AIUI) virtualized, packages built in one of these PPAs
> aren't suitable for copy to the primary archive.

> It's a step, but not a solution.

If being able to build everything in virtualized ppas with armhf support
would help solve the release issues for Kubuntu, I believe there's room for
giving Kubuntu a bigger chunk of time on the virtualized builders.

AIUI, there are several issues at present that would prevent Kubuntu staging
its builds of the 6-month KDE releases in ppas:

 - Kubuntu's build requirements would exceed the advertised community usage
   limits for virtualized armhf ppas
 - KDE doesn't build under current qemu due to qemu bugs
 - Binaries can't be copied from virt ppas to the archive, so rebuilds would
   be required when promoting
 - It's not clear if there's a ppa schema that would meet the Kubuntu
   community's needs, or what that schema would be

Does that sound accurate?

None of these issues seem insurmountable to me; if the Kubuntu devs decide
this is the right way to go, I don't think it's out of reach.

slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org