Hi,

On Thu, 9 Jun 2022 at 20:20, Dan Streetman <ddstr...@ieee.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 9, 2022 at 3:03 PM Nick Rosbrook
> <nick.rosbr...@canonical.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > During the 22.04 cycle, we enabled systemd-oomd [1] by default on
> > desktop. Since then, there have been reports of systemd-oomd killing
> > user applications too frequently (e.g. browsers, IDEs, and gnome-shell
> > in some cases). In addition to a couple of LPs [2][3], I have heard
> > these reports by word-of-mouth, and there have been discussions on
> > internal Mattermost. A common theme in these reports is that e.g.
> > Chrome is killed "suddenly" without any other observable symptoms of
> > the system nearing OOM.

When it comes to OOM situations, how hard would it be to:
* provide a status indicator on the status of memory usage, possibly in red
if memory usage is a little higher than is safe?
* once an application has been killed by the OOMD, how hard is it to tell
the user that this has happened to satisfy the OOMD?

HTH,

Ian

-- Free Software page -
https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software