On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 03:47:58PM +0100, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2022 at 08:16:15PM +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> > Le 09/06/2022 à 21:19, Dan Streetman a écrit :
> > > Personally, I think this is the correct option. 1GB is not a good
> > > default swap size.
> >
> > Did we ever consider doing the same than fedora is doing there?
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/SwapOnZRAM
>
> One minor data point here: yes, at least on the Pi images where zswap is
> activated by default.
>
> Some background context: one goal on jammy was to make the desktop viable on
> the Pi 4 with 2GB of RAM (though not the 1GB). Given that the Pi desktop
> images ship with 1GB of swap (so we know there definitely *is* a swap-file

You actually mean no. See what Fedora did is they disabled
swapfiles/swap partitions, and instead only created a zram device
and swap on that, so they only have compressed memory as swap.

But also with that the case, one has to wonder how systemd-oomd
ever worked for them without any (large) physical swap - they should
have hit the same issues we did.

ubuntu core developer                              i speak de, en