Hi Pushkar,

On Wed, Feb 7, 2024 at 6:17 AM Pushkar Kulkarni
<pushkar.kulka...@canonical.com> wrote:
> I was on my first +1 maintenance shift last week. I began the week
> with some reading of +1 report of the past shifts, to get a basic idea
> of what to do and how to do it.

Nice, thanks for your good work and excellent report. I have a few
comments below.

> === ccache ===
> Autopkgtests fail because a new upstream change causes uncaught
> exceptions which bring down the ccache utility with a SIGABRT.
> Interestingly, the test which core-dumps is deemed as passed, but the
> core-dump messages on stderr cause tests to fail.
>
> I started a discussion on the upstream repository, which was later
> accepted as a bug [3] and there is a fix committed. The upstream
> maintainer, who also happens to maintain the Debian package mentioned
> on the Debian bug report [4] that the fix will be out through a new
> upstream release next week. Just in case, it doesn't happen, I have a
> merge-proposal with a work-around [5].
>
> [3] https://github.com/ccache/ccache/discussions/1390
> [4] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1062810
> [5]
> https://code.launchpad.net/~pushkarnk/ubuntu/+source/ccache/+git/ccache/+merge/459639

I've added a comment on the MP. But since the package is already
manually sync'd now, can you reject the MP, please?

> === asterisk-espeak ===
> This package represents an asterisk module related to speech
> synthesis. The failing test just tried to load the module into
> asterisk, but failed. I have an Ubuntu merge proposal [6] as well as a
> Debian merge request [7] for this. Please read the connected bug
> reports for more details.
>
> [6]
> https://code.launchpad.net/~pushkarnk/ubuntu/+source/asterisk-espeak/+git/asterisk-espeak/+merge/459769
> [7] https://salsa.debian.org/pkg-voip-team/asterisk-espeak/-/merge_requests/2

Paride has left a comment on the bug and the MP, please take a look
whenever you have a sec.

> === freedombox/bootstrapform ===
> The freedombox package depends on bootstrapform. Autopkgtests of the
> former fail because the latter imports distutils. I did a Debian MR
> [15] to replace distutils.StrictVersion with packaging.Version. But I
> now see bootstrapform also failing, independent of this merge request,
> with Python 3.12. Test pipelines on the MR are failing and this needs
> more investigation.
>
> [15]
> https://salsa.debian.org/freedombox-team/python-django-bootstrap-form/-/merge_requests/4

I wonder what upstream thinks about it. Also it'd be nice to have this
forwarded to upstream and get a review before landing it.

> === glueviz ===
> This needs a migration from package "imp", which was purged in Python
> 3.12, to package "importlib". I submitted a Debian merge request [16]
> for it.
>
> [16] https://salsa.debian.org/debian-astro-team/glue/-/merge_requests/3

I think it'd be super helpful if this is done upstream and not
downstream. This way we can avoid carrying patches and just get the
new upstream version.

> === factory-boy ===
> An autopkgtest of factory-boy, evidently picks up zero tests to run,
> at least since the past four releases. In Python 3.12, the behaviour
> of package "unittest" was modified to return failure (exit code 5) if
> zero tests were selected. As a result, the factory-boy autopkgtest
> began failing. I submitted a Debian merge request [17].
>
> [17]
> https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/packages/factory-boy/-/merge_requests/1

I don't think disabling the tests would be the right approach here.
The correct and the ideal fix would be to get the tests running. :)

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns; many thanks.

- u