On Dec 17, 2009, at 01:26 PM, Aaron Bentley wrote:

>> Maybe I want to
>> decide whether the work I had to do to land the code needs extra
>> review.  With a loom, there's no problem finding this.  With a
>> non-loom it's much more difficult especially if you've got several
>> trunk merges interspersed.
>
>Sure, I can see the virtue of a stack-based approach if you want to view
>the work separately.  But this doesn't help me understand why you would
>want trunk as the base thread.

What happens if I update my trunk?  In the loom-based approach, my bottom
thread won't be updated until I explicitly take that step.  In the branch
based approach, all my branches will "see" the update.

>I have thought about implementing a diff that ignores changes introduced
>by merges.  It's just a matter of tuits.

That would definitely help.

>> Updating the bottom thread and up-threading --auto falls into this.
>> It's usually a trivial, inconsequential afterthought.  Most changes
>> on trunk don't affect my work, so I don't care about them.  I'm
>> merging trunk to be diligent.  The fact that I can mentally segregate
>> that to the bottom thread helps me ignore it completely in the common
>> case, even if the end result is the same.
>
>I don't see how this lets you mentally segregate it to the bottom
>thread.  up-thread --auto affects all threads.

Right, but it's the difference between thinking about it like: "oh, I'm just
tracking trunk changes" to "I'm weaving in the trunk changes with my current
work".  I dunno, maybe I need to change my mental model, but to me there's a
very distinct difference.

>This is actually co-location of trees with their branches.  You can
>accomplish this with lightweight checkouts by putting the branch inside
>the .bzr directory of the branch.
>
>$ bzr init foo
>Created a standalone tree (format: 2a)
>
>$ bzr checkout foo bar
>$ mkdir bar/.bzr/branches
>$ mv foo bar/.bzr/branches/
>$ cd bar
>$ bzr switch --force .bzr/branches/foo
>Tree is up to date at revision 0.
>Switched to branch: /home/abentley/sandbox/bar/.bzr/branches/foo/

Thanks, that helps a lot.  I will definitely give this a shot for the next
branch I'm working on.

>Obviously, this is more steps than it should be, but it would be easy to
>turn into a reconfigure operation.

+1

>> I should note thought that there's a wart in looms related to this:
>> export-loom.  If I have to share my loom threads with others (e.g. a
>> merge proposal), I have to export it into separate branches.
>
>You can also use import-loom to convert it to a pipeline, which will
>preserve ordering information, so it can be used by lp-submit.

Neat!
- -Barry