On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 14:10 +0000, Jonathan Lange wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Jelmer Vernooij <jel...@canonical.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 13:58 +0000, Jonathan Lange wrote:
> >> In a previous discussion about Ubuntu distributed development, someone
> >> suggested that we graph the number of Ubuntu branches that share
> >> history with upstream.
> >>
> >> I think that's a very interesting thing to graph, but I have
> >> absolutely no idea on how to get that information -- even with access
> >> to Launchpad.
> >>
> >> How could we do it?
> > The simplest thing to check would just be to see if the first revision
> > of the upstream branch is part of the ancestry of the packaging
> > branches' tip.
> >
> > Are you going to use the database for this or are you fine with calling
> > out to Bazaar and using the branches on disk / remote servers?
>
> I'd like to use the database, since I think the other option would be
> grindingly slow.

So checking whether a revision is part of another branches' ancestry is
not really possible then, if I understand the current database scheme
correctly. You should be able to detect the common ancestry in most of
the cases by just checking that the first revision of the upstream
branch and first revision of the packaging branch have the same revid.

This won't allow you to detect the situation where the packaging branch
was created first and the upstream merged into it later, but as far as I
can tell that's quite rare.

Something related to this that has an open bug in lp-code - it is
impossible to have common ancestry between upstream and debian packaging
branches at the moment because it is impossible to register mirrors /
imports for packaging branches.

Cheers,

Jelmer