--- Amit Karpe wrote:

> As I have limited space , I don't want to use
> Sun-Java5-jdk.

Any other particular reason for not using
sun-java5-jdk?

> Which JDK I should use ? As I have very limited
> Space for my Live CD .
> What is diff between these packages
> 1. free-java-jdk

This is a different sdk but is likely related to GCJ
(GNU's Compiler for Java), but has different
maintainer.

> 2. gcj
> 3. java-gcj-compat and java-gcj-compat-dev

The GNU's Compiler for Java needs the above two
packages plus additional packages to run Java. (GCJ is
the Compiler for Java and GIJ is the interpreter for
Java).

I would recommend, installing sun-java5-sdk (now that
it is Free Software (licensed under GPL2; you can
install the source, as well). Also, there's another
alternative, known as Blackdown Java. This was
created, when Sun's java was not under GPL.

If you have Adpet / Synaptic search for Blackdown
Java.

A small suggestion: Since this thread is related to
your Ubuntu for CS, I would request you to do the
following.

Let the distro be as it is. Since, you plan to give
development tools to CS students, you could create and
Apt-ON CD for them, and distribute it with the sources
of those tools on that CD. Imagine, the advantages
they get!

I can think of doing it this way. Considering, that
you have unlimited data transfers on your internet
connection, you could use apt-get to *download* (set
-d option) all the necessary packages.
You can then create a document on how to use the CD
for installing software and put it in the same CD.

That CD will be like /sone pe suhaga/.

--
http://www.gnu.org.in
http://www.somaiya.edu/sksasc

      Meet people who discuss and share your passions. Go to
http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups