+++ Vivek [2008-01-21 05:54:38]:

> Have u tried XUBUNTU ? It's touted to be lightweight alternative to
> ubuntu but my personal experience has been very different. Most of the
> time it relies on Gnome packages. Other than a different window
> manager , and thunar there's not much different between them. It's based
> on GTK2 and relies on many gnome packages. It definitely uses "less"
> resources but isn't that light.

XFCE doesn't *depend* on any Gnome Packages, now if you need a particular
gnome package.. obviously those will depend on Gnome packages.

Creating a distro isn't a trivial task.. involves a LOT of overhead in
packaging/testing/QA etc... just look at the different levels of "polish" in
the various *buntu distributions itself.

> Fluxbox: There's already a fluxubuntu distribution.
>
> I'm not talking just abt different window manager but a better and
> friendlier linux distro based on ubuntu.

Why don't you list what you think is broken with Ubuntu and work with the
"official" developers to get things fixed?

Why does it have to be India specific? Why shouldn't the rest of the world
benefit from your ideas?

Don't let imaginary lines in the sand limit your ideas.

The reason the localisation effort seems to be highlighted is because someone
from China or Brazil isn't qualified to be doing "Indian" language
translations.

There are Indians contributing to Ubuntu under various roles.. but they
don't need to do it under Ubuntu-IN, because it's more efficient to directly
work with the main developers than to work independently of them.

Kingsly