(sorry for top-posting - am half-way up a mountain in Indonesia with
bad internet and using Google Quick Reply)

So getting a short-code is kind've tricky business (read EXPENSIVE) -
but if you want to interface a regular SIM card with a cell-phone just
for a project or something, the procedure is fairly straightforward
(you would get a regular cell-phone number) - you buy a GSM Modem --
the cheapest we found was from a company called Pulraj Electronics in
Vashi - works fairly well.

Then the SIM Card is connected to the computer - you should be able to
use something like minicom to log into the device and test basic AT
commands to verify that it works. Then, the best FOSS software I know
to serve as an SMS server is called Kannel. It shouldn't be too hard
to configure - and then you can take the SMSes, put them into a MySql
database, run scripts on them, whatever, really :-)

Hope that helps.
-Sanjay