On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 7:11 PM, Moz <list...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My graphics settings will not remain persistent. I need to set it to
> 1366x768, but the closest I am allowed is 1280x768, but even that does not
> remain so after logout or reboot.
>
> I have an ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 motherboard which has the NVIDIA GeForce 7025
> graphics chipset onboard, Ubuntu Hardy 8.04.2 is installed, 2 GB RAM is
> installed. I have enabled the non-free graphics drivers. A Dell 19 inch
> widescreen LCD monitor is connected to this motherboard. The monitor says
> that optimum resolution is 1366x768, but I do not have that option in the
> nvidia-settings control panel. nvidia-settings and nvidia-xconfig are
> installed. The version of the driver is 169.12. I am downloading the current
> version from nvidia.com and intend to install it to see if that will make
> any difference.
>
> I downloaded the driver, and I have a chicken and egg situation it seems. I
> can not install the driver because X server is running, I can stop X server
> if I boot to a root shell from the grub menu, but that is runlevel 1 and the
> driver installer is complaining about that. What to do?

Did you try to use Ctrl + Alt + F1 from GDM screen to go to console?

By the way, installing drivers from upstream is not recommended
because you never know what will break. You should try to solve your
problem in some other way.

What does the screen resolution say about available resolutions? Why
are you using nvidia specific tools to manage resolution?
Do you have all updates installed (specifically linux-restricted-modules)?

Onkar