Hi Onkar

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 7:45 PM, Onkar Shinde <onkarshi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I downloaded the driver, and I have a chicken and egg situation it seems.
> > can not install the driver because X server is running, I can stop X
> server
> > if I boot to a root shell from the grub menu, but that is runlevel 1 and
> the
> > driver installer is complaining about that. What to do?
>
> Did you try to use Ctrl + Alt + F1 from GDM screen to go to console?

Yes, I did that. And from there I even tried to give a command 'gdm stop'
(with and without sudo).

> By the way, installing drivers from upstream is not recommended
> because you never know what will break. You should try to solve your
> problem in some other way.

I was trying to install only because I can not do persistent settings any
other way.

> What does the screen resolution say about available resolutions? Why
> are you using nvidia specific tools to manage resolution?
> Do you have all updates installed (specifically linux-restricted-modules)?

available resolutions are 1366x768 and below. Trying to use nvidia specific
tools because I could not do persistent settings any other way so trying
this way.
linux-restricted-modules are installed, not all updates. I am on a WLL CDMA
internet connection, and that too far away from the tower so speeds are very
low. Can't do all updates.

Thanks,
Moz